Re: [phpGroupWare-users] phpGW for Unix users managed by LDAP

From: Marco Gaiarin
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-users] phpGW for Unix users managed by LDAP
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:48:00 +0200

Mandi! Emanuel Ziegler
  In chel di` si favelave...

> 4) UID, GID, Groups: Currently only authentication is done via LDAP. As soon
> as a user logs in, an account on MySQL is created with a new numeric UID,
> independent group managment and home directories. I want, however,
> phpGroupAdmin to use the information stored in the posixAccount and
> posixGroup classes of the LDAP. In principle this information is available
> via PAM as well.

Now for, i think an historical reason, user and group share the same
number space in PHPGW, so cannot coexist user foo with UID=1234 and
group bar with GID=1234.
In current PHPGW implementation this problem was (partially?) solved
using another ID (PhpGWAccountID).

A problem persist: there's no ``syncronization'' between membership
(relations user<->group) that PHPGW sore anyway on SQL (phpgw_acl
table).
You are forced to use PHPGW itself to define membership, and they will
update your LDAP data, but the convers have to be done manually.

I totally agree with you, would be better to have PHPGW take all the
data from LDAP, and could be usefoul also to have PHPGW not able to
even write to LDAP, eg you manage password, membership, ... with other
tools and PHPGW simply read them.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin                                 GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/