[Phpgroupware-users] Logs messages, session and addressbook problems wit

From: Anthony Chavez
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Logs messages, session and addressbook problems with 0.9.16
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 18:48:40 -0600

Hello, phpgroupware-users!

I have the following environment:

phpGroupWare    0.9.16
PHP             5.1.4
Apache          2.2.2
FreeBSD         6.0-RELEASE-p4

I have been recently made aware that PHP 5 is currently not supported
by phpGroupWare, but we've had good luck with it until now, and we are
not in a position to downgrade to PHP 4 just yet.

I understand that running the CVS version of phpgw is the preferred
course of action for people that have problems, but I thought that I'd
at least pose these questions before I upgraded. ;-)

My first question involves the following syslog message.

httpd: PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in
Unknown on line 0

This is repeatedly logged, even with output_buffering = on in php.ini,
but doesn't tell me much.  What could be causing this?

We are also experiencing 2 issues.

The first is this.  Early this morning, our 128MB temporary directory
(an mdmfs(8) MD_SWAP disk) ran out of free space, and users were no
longer able to login.  My initial reaction to this was "flush the temp
directory and sessions will be re-created."

However, after doing so and long after the session.gc_maxlifetime
(3600) has expired, users are still unable to login, unless they do so
From a different machine.  I didn't bother making a backup, because
temp directories are supposed to be just that: temporary, right?

I've noticed the following in syslog.  Earlier this morning, it was occuring

httpd: PHP Warning:  mcrypt_generic_deinit() [<a
href='function.mcrypt-generic-deinit'>function.mcrypt-generic-deinit</a>]:
Could not terminate encryption specifier in
/usr/local/www/data-dist/phpgroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.crypto.inc.php on line
110

I'm also seeing, e.g., "account loginid 'acc' is expired" in the
phpgw_log table.

My thought is that the session ID is being referenced in the database,
but because it does not exist in the temporary directory, the login
fails.  But the problem persists even after deleting any and all
cookies (related or not) for this particular site from my browser.
How can I resolve this?

I have also been told that 128MB is probably not sufficient for very
many users.  How much disk space should I expect for sessions?  Should
I consider using DB-backed sessions for a large number of users?

The other issue is in regard to the addressbook module.  After adding
a contact into the addressbook, loading the module in a browser takes
at least a full minute to load in the user's browser.

My hypothesis here is that for some reason the database session is
hanging (due to bad SQL or something similar) until it hits some
timeout, where it is forced to respond.  Nothing shows up in the logs,
but a sockstat(1) shows that the connection does persist until
approximately the time that the page finally displays.

Any help would be appreciated!

--
Anthony Chavez                                 http://anthonychavez.org/
mailto:address@hidden         jabber:address@hidden