Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Palm sync / Calendar popups

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Palm sync / Calendar popups
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:52:04 +1100

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 10:57 -0500, Charles Martin wrote:
> Hi all !
>
>     Seems like, once users get a taste of something, they always want
> more ;-)

I love it when people start treating phpgw like a drug addiction ;)

> Anyways, I'd like to know the status of pda synchronisation with phpgw.
> I searched the archives and most discussions seems to date back to 2003
> so I'm curious as to where this technology is at. For now, they're using
> Palms but, being an office supply company, they could easily switch to
> Blackberry etc.

Ewww blackberries.  I am not a big fan of them.  I have a client where
they rolled out Nokia 9500s they are nice, but chunky handset.  Just
waiting on the sync :)

> if it would make it easier/faster to develop. (Phpgw is
> hosted on an external machine that we have no control on software
> installs etc.)

They will probably have to look at having a box in the office for the
sync then.  Sync requires java to be installed.

Sync is now being handled by roCon Informationstechnologie -
http://rocon-it.de/ .  I called the guy managing the project a couple of
days ago about a few things including this.  They have some issues to be
resolved but are optimistic about being able to release a public beta
soon.

I will be making a post to the user list about a survey they are running
too :)

> Also, they would like to be able to use the calendar app ala outlook, by
> which they mean keeping that calendar window opened and it would pop
> them alerts as events passes... I guess this shouldn't be that hard to
> build with javascript timers and the like but I'd like to know if any
> such thing already exists somewhere in the code tree.

Look at the notify window used by email, you could add some support
there.  You might need a JS trick or 2 to get the window to get focus if
there is an event, as afaik popup blockers stop windows using js to gain
focus.

You could also look at using a SWF for generating sound :)

Cheers

Dave
--
Dave Hall (aka skwashd)