Re: [Phpgroupware-users] PHPGroupware optimization [mysql, ldap]

From: Christian Rost
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] PHPGroupware optimization [mysql, ldap]
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 09:15:07 +0000

Hi Dave,

we checked out some further details and are pretty sure that it's a coding
issue. As mentioned before, MySQL and slapd have enough performace to cope
with the queries and aren't the bottleneck in this case. Even memory shouldn't
be an issue.

Oh, BTW the system we're talking about is our test-system with 512MB RAM, a
2GHz Celeron and two ATA 133 HDs. We copied the production system to our
test-system to get the software configuration and data of our customer.

We started apache2 with several spare servers to increase response time and
speed, but that doesn't got us further, if the process used for calling
Infolog takes up to 20 secs and causes 80%- 90% CPU load. Calendar and
Addressbook work quite fine.

During the 20 second we need to start InfoLog, there's a bunch of LDAP queries
for the uidNumber of the user and the gidNumbers of all groups the user
belongs to within phpgw. These queries take about 1-2 secs.

For the next app. 15 secs PHPgw queries LDAP for for all uidNumbers and
gidNumbers (uidNumber=*) every 2 to 3 secs.
Finally the queries from the beginning are repeated again.

Because of this behavior, we're quite sure that the performance issue is
caused by the processing of data within the Infolog scripts. In addition, an
accelerator cache like turk-mmcache, didn't get it any faster. The Infolog
scripts are cached, but the scripts itselfes take too much time.

Some easy steps we could take is to deeinstall all PHPgw modules we don't
need.  Additional indexing of PHPgw tables could be of some help, but again as
with slapd, MySQL and slapd aren't the performance killers.

Regards,

Christian

--
Christian Rost