Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Customization VS updates

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Customization VS updates
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:30:41 -0500

php5 compat and printing sound like things that could be submited
upstream so they will already be in the next release.

with custom logic, if you thought of it chances are someone else will
find it usefull.  maybe not the exact logic, but the ability to stick
extra logic in a certain spot.  In this case, you can make a hook and
submit a patch to add the hook.  With hooks, if the hook file isn't
there the code just runs as default, but if it is there you get your
custom logic.  for example hooks, check the accounts class in the
add/edit/changepass functions, they are actualy pretty simple.

this takes a little longer to develop, but greatly increases the
chance of a clean merge when upgrading, and even opens up the
possibilty that you won't have to do anything even for the next major
release.