[Phpgroupware-users] Re: Synchronization with mobile appliances via Sync

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Re: Synchronization with mobile appliances via SyncML - need help ASAP
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:55:07 +1000

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 14:18 +0000, Christian Rost wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it doesn't help me further. Based on what
> I found on the Net and in PHPgroupware docs, I expected the syncML stuff to be
> more useable and running in an production and not testing enviroment.
>
> We choose PHPgw, because it seemed to have a working syncML module, in spite
> of all the other OS groupware packages which were merely thinking about it. So
> has anyone ever used the sync module and sync4j-server besides the Probusiness
> guys?

Yes, I got it working on Debian.  The problem was my client device was a
Nokia phone which insisted on using wbxml which isn't support by sync4j
1.2, so I stopped any further work on it.

> I don't think the posting is misplaced in the phpgroupware-developers list,
> as you stated in your mail. There's missing essential documentation about how
> to set it up properly and IMHO the syncML topic needs much attention in the
> near future. Meanwhile other OS groupware packages like eGroupware or
> Open-xChange are on their way to develop an syncML API or already have one.

If you are developing docs then the discussion belongs on the docs list.
If you are having issues using the software, the discussion belongs on
the user list.  If you are hacking on phpGW, then the discussion belongs
on the dev list, that is why we have the various lists.

I know some other projects are planning to do a lot of things, you can
wait and see what happens with them if you want.

> The current PHPgroupware module only works with sync4j-server 1.2 and needs to
> be upgrade to work with sync4j-server 2.x. If it is done, you can use the
> sync4j connectors to synchronize modern mobile appliances with phpgw. If I/ we
> can help in this process, we will gladly do it.

Yes this is a major problem.  I secured some funding so probiz could do
the work to bring the phpGW sync module up to sync4j 2.2, but they were
too busy to talk to the person who was willing to put the money up and
he gave up and walked away.

You will need to talk to probiz to find out what is needed to be done,
cos I am not in a position to sit down and go through someone else's
java code.

> The installation/ configuration howto I'm going to write during the next days
> will be the first step in this process. But to accomplish this, I need some
> help. So if there's anyone out there who has a running sync4j <-> PHPgroupware
> system, please help.

I think you will find anyone who has had a lot of success, mainly cos
the docs suck and the authors have moved on and the vendor <insert
inappropriate comment />.

> We're having a deadline, too. Because I expected it to be no problem and a
> piece of cake to get the syncML stuff running I started quite late - and now
> it seems that time's running out.

I do that all the time :(  Any other week I could spend some time on it
with you, but I am way overdue for a deadline.

> As you recommanded, I'm going to post this on the users list, as well. But to
> be frank, I doubt that I will get any help froom the users list.

The response from the dev list will be similar.

> Again, thanks for your reply :-))

Sorry the news wasn't better.

Cheers

Dave