Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Setting up local mail delivery

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Setting up local mail delivery
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:36:42 -0500

the php mail function is limited, weak, and has no error handling
interface at all.  it is simply not suitable for a robust web
application.

seems you don't need imap or pop3, but you do need smtp (the 3 are
completely seperate).  There are many light weight (read small memory
footprint, local delivery only, nothing fancy like what postfix can
do) smtp servers available, I haven't reviewed any though, just seen
the lists on the likes of freshmeat.net.  There are even ones that run
from [x]inetd so they only run when you need it.

IIRC, for php mail() to deliver, you still need an MTA server process
running unless you suid the sendmail binary. (can you say "security
hole"?)  I'd bet your MTA server process will incur minimal overhead
to enable it's port 25.