Re: [Phpgroupware-users] phpGroupware calendar and email

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] phpGroupware calendar and email
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:31:03 +0000

Curtis Carpenter (address@hidden) wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > >I am running phpgroupware 0.9.16.003 with php-4.3.10, apache-2.0.51 on a
> > >RH 9 box.
> > >
> > >I have a basic phpgroupware configuration running at the moment, but
> > >have run into two problems:
> > >

> > >     1. This is probably a stupid one: When I try to add a calendar
> > >        entry with other users I get the following error:
> > >

> > >Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in
> > >/home/phpgroupware/calendar/inc/class.uicalendar.inc.php on line 1354
> > >(this line is a Header() call)
> > >

> > That doesnt look right at all.... where did you get the phpgw from?
> >
> > Whats the name of the tarball you got?
> >
> phpgroupware-0.9.16.003.tar.gz was the first one which I think I got
> from source forge.  I just went back to www.phpgroupware.org to look for
> the md5sum and saw .005 was out.  So, I have now downloaded, checked the
> sum, and installed the new version of the .php files in my dir. (with
> the same mySQL structure).  The same problem is there.
>
> Ah, oops, I gave the wrong file the error was in.  Here are the correct
> files/results of my testing:
>

> Add calendar event without any other user:
> OK
>
> Add calendar event with other user:
>
> Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in
> /home/phpgroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.phpgw.inc.php on line 152
>

> Delete calendar event:
>
> Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in
> /home/phpgroupware/calendar/inc/class.uicalendar.inc.php on line 1225
>

> What does adding a calendar event with another user depend on that
> adding a calendar event without another user does not?  Is there are
> part of the results page for notifications that is getting messed up?
>

> > >     1. I am having trouble setting up the email module. I see in the
> > >        archives this has been more of a problem for other users. I have
> > >        a basic configuration using our mail server's pop port. Here are
> > >        the errors:
> > >

> > >Warning: imap_open(): Couldn't open stream INBOX
> > >in class.mail_dcom_pop3.inc.php
> > >

> > >imap_last_error: [Certificate failure for 66.151.28.251: self signed
> > >certificate: /C=US/ST=IL/L=Chicago/O=Driveitaway/OU=Mail
> > >Services/CN=webmail.driveitaway.com/address@hidden
> > >tried RH bug recovery?: [1]
> > >

> > >Yes, the cert on our mail server is self-signed. Is there a way to get
> > >around this error?
> > >

> > Well.... yes, but first.... we strongly recomend imap over pop for
> > webmail. Believe me, youll thank me. In rh, both services should be on
> > anyway and, since youre not using it for anything else, you can use
> > hosts.deny to close imap for everyone else except localhost. This way
> > you dont need ssl if youve both the webserver and the mail server in the
> > same box.
> >
> IMAP is a strong protocol, but I am afraid it will not work too well
> with our current config.  The mail server is remote, the phpGroupware
> server is local, and our pipe is not too big.  I am going to have to use

Here is a suggestion for something I did for a while:
1. run your own mailserver for incoming and outgoing mail
2. use fetchmail to grab the email from your current source and feed it to
your local email server

The advantages are:
a. local email between users is much faster since not sent out to the internet
and back
b. outgoing mail can be spooled on your local mailserver until you get an
internet connection (very handy for small or flakey internet connections)
c. incoming mail still comes in but you can schedule fetchmail with cron jobs
so it can already be waiting for you when you check your phpgw email
d. moves this auth problem to fetchmail so you CAN use imap for access to your
local email
e. if you are hosting phpgw locally on a linux server, you already have all
the hardware and software you need