Re: [Phpgroupware-users] sitemgr problems

From: Marc Grober
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] sitemgr problems
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:29:13 -0900

Setting aside the vitriole.....

Instead of doing a symlink I just coped the sitemgr-site directory to the
htdocs directory (see notes in wiki......) .  I ended up with an initial
message that the web site was not configured and eventually ended up with a
site index web page that says I am not cleared for access to the site.  And I
am still barred from inside sitemgr from adding pages or categories as I do not
have write perms....

Now I DID play with the htaccess file and settings in that this is suggested in
the files.....  though not explained.

At the risk of someone saying something nasty to me,  I have to suggest that a
clear and concise explanation of how this app works would be beneficial.  As I
said in the wiki,  as a newbe who has some experience in documentation I am
happy to try to put together what I can discover......  (my experience is that
often sophisticated users miss the pebble on which newcomers trip....) but it
is, well, slow going.......   What I have heard (and this is NOT an attack on
anyone !!!!!) are repeated instructions to take steps 1 ..10 or what have
you....   and the comment that doing it several times is certainly
instructional....  but I like to see docs that explain why and tell you that if
such and such happens its because this, that or the other thing...... so for
example I have had no one offer an explantion of why I have an error message
that I have no write perms to add a category.....  and I have had no response
to a request for an explanation of the htaccess switch in the config.inc.php

as a sysadmin I was confronted a few years ago with a user who insisted that
his workstation was defective as it kept crashing.  He had a rs6k box on which
were hung 3 xterms.  He could never tell us much about his problem in words we
could understand so we visited his workstation and discovered that he was
running everything in full window so everytime he wanted to use wp he started
another session, and by the end of the day he had initiated so many full
versions of wp that he had locked up the entire pod.  We could have called him
thoughtless, stupid, etc but our job was to encourage him to use the systems
and to support his usage.  We rolled out a script that called wp so that only
one instance of the program would ever be started and we spent some time
explaining how to use something other than fullscreen.....   the problems
disappeared.....  though he maintains to this day that he had nothing to do
with them.......

could we turn down the ad homina?