Re: [Phpgroupware-users] app problems

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] app problems
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:56:03 +1100

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 01:52 -0900, Marc Grober wrote:
> Dumped  the text into the wiki.

Replies now on the wiki.

> I treied it in html and when I realized that wiki's
> don;t do anything with the tags I replaced that with the plain text..... then
> noticed that in other apps you had inserted the html......  (I am guessing
> for the
> reason I conclude this note with......)  So which way should it be, and lets
> say
> something to that effect at the top.........

HTML is not ideal for wikis.  wikis are designed for adding content
quickly, good for bashing out ideas.  The resulting output isn't always
pretty, but it is the content which counts.  Check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

>  Don't know much about wikis other than they do not seem to like be very
> format-friendly (I assume that somewhere someone has written a script that
> parses
> out html and replaces tags with wiki formatting ?)

Yep that is the who idea.  There is basic formatting controls, but you
don't really need to use all of xhtml1.0trans spec

> I can understand why wikis are a great tool for collaborative editing, but I
> miss a
> tag based mark-up tool.....  which means this will eventually have to be
> imported
> back into OO to be published....  bit of circle that, no?

That is why I want to make the wiki more of a whiteboard/discussion
area, and the docs can be done in OO.o :)

Cheers

Dave