Re: [Phpgroupware-users] installation of phpgw with safe mode on - filem

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] installation of phpgw with safe mode on - filemanager, fudforum
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:03:02 -0600

1) make sure the files have a proper ownerships.  Sometimes this is
the user the web server runs as, sometimes it's just important that
all match.  CHeck with your server admin to see for sure.  I don't
know the manual process, but I recall the process it uses to be
outlined in the readme for fudforum.

2) a properly configured safe mode will have a path outside the doc
root to store files.  To not have this opens you up to many security
issues that cannot be resolved  outside of putting files outside the
web root.  For instance, one of your users uploads hack.php with code
in it that will read and echo the header.inc.php, if the files are
accessable in the web root then the user can directly call this file
and you're hacked.  .htacces isn't available on all platforms so for
phpGW to be secure we can't rely on that  The only real solution is to
put it outside the web root.  However, if you have .htacces file
support you can use one to secure yourself and remove the check from
phpgw source, I don't know where the check is offhand.  Someone should
put this info and detail the workaround on the wiki.  (I choose to
properly configure safe mode instead so I'm not going to :P)

not sure on #3