Re: [Phpgroupware-users] one install for many virtual email domains?

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] one install for many virtual email domains?
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:47:56 -0500

Andy Firman wrote:

I am setting up a FreeBSD box with Virtual Exim.
http://silverwraith.com/vexim/
This allows me to handle virtual domains quite easily
as most of the settings are in a MySQL database with a nice front end control panel.

phpGW works fine for individual installs for each domain.
Except for the fact that a user can't login as:
"address@hidden"
I have to add the users and then go into their custom
email preferences and change the email account name
so they can properly authenticate against Courier's authdaemond.mysql.

I am wondering if anyone uses only ONE phpGW install for may
virtual domains?
Or do you recommend a separate install for each domain?

Well, if each email domain does not need to collaborate with each other email domains, then yeah, that is the way to go: One phpgw domain per email domain (that is, one database for each domain as well).

If you have one organization with multiple email domains it gets um, different. In this cases youll want it so applications see the phpgw username of everybody regardless of their email domain.

There are different solutions for that. phpWebMaui does something to help you. On the other hand, I have strange and complex patches that make phpgw work with vpopmail using soap and kind of adds the email domain as part of the administration of a user account (adds a table to the database and modifies the preferences of the user from there ).

Thanks,
Andy