Re: [Phpgroupware-users] CK-ERP v.0.8.1 released

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] CK-ERP v.0.8.1 released
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:54:11 +0000

C K Wu (address@hidden) wrote:

> Hello,  folks,

(content cut for brevity)

> c) ck-contact. A new module models on phpgroupware's addressbook.
> Facility is provided to import contact records from phpgw's addressbook.
> This should minimize duplicate data entry effort. However, semantically
> there are some differences between data fields embedded in the
> addressbook and ck-contact. Nevertheless, if some functionalities could
> be developed to syncronize addressbook vs ck-contact, it would allow a
> combined phpgw + ck-erp to handle both frontline business communication
> and backend record processing within a unified computing environment. My
> next attention will be devoted to converting customer, vendor and
> employee record to make use of the ck-contact features. I hope members
> of the phpgw team would perhaps consider taking up the challenge of
> implementing the synchronization. By the way, the reason for not
> utilizing the addressbook data directly is that one of the design goal
> of CK-ERP (and of CK-Ledger) is that all transactions must have a
> systemwide unique id, which I think is very difficult to guarantee
> within the current addressbook.

You know I like ck-ledger, but the inability to still not use the phpgw
addressbook table directly causes me concern.  I know that any parallel
contact storage system that relies on a sync mechanism is bound to encounter
occasional problems.

Perhaps it is due to my misunderstanding of how the "systemwide unique id"
works

I know that the existing addressbook has a hook to allow other apps to prevent
deletion of addressbook contacts and I know that the addressbook system does
use a unique id for each of it's entries .. so I don't nderstand the problem

Could you explain it more please?

Secondly, the version that I am currently running does not have "phpgw_"
preceding the table names, does the current version?