Re: [Phpgroupware-users] success stories on large phpGroupWare systems

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] success stories on large phpGroupWare systems
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:12:27 -0500

Ive got an automaker with close to 1000 users that i just migrated from
.14 to .16. He did need a couple of enhancements but all of them are
either already in the 16 branch or available as patches from me or jarg.

This guys have offshore operations in costa-rica, offices and clients in
the states and more than 200 offices throughout the country. They are
all ISO-9000 aproved and is a pretty large operation (the group consists
of 17 enterprises).

The latest addition to the patchline is html wysiwyg email (i know this
wont be in the project till after discussion, but the patch is being
cooked up right now by medik, so i thought id brag about it).

The biggest problems with phpgw scaling are the next two:

- Good sizing of email-gw usage BEFORE DEPLOYMENT
        - Determining the size of the server (it will require more iron
        than exchange, thats for shure).
- Determining what else might the client need UI wise
        - Ask arround, ive some mighty patches to invite people from the
addressbook to meetings (instead of just accounts in the system), for
example. Also, some patches to email to send to a whole category (so,
its personal email lists implemented as categories).
        - All of this was done with the help of the phpgw community but just
after the release date of phpgw, but it will make it in for the next
release we hope.
        - A CUTE thing also available, is the folder application with
        the pb template. It saves lots of times, but its not obviously
        readily available the first time you fire up phpgw. So ask      about
that
too. I havent tested this with many users, but im
        shure the pb team has.
        - Also, ask about the new sync interface. It might do this guys
some
good by providing access to phpgw through syncml devices
        such as some cellphones.

After that, you are home free.

As for sizing, ive got:

A dell 2650 rackmount server with two gigs in ram, a postgresql database
as available from debian sarge, the turck-mmcache runing atop php4 as
per debian sarge and apache 1.3.29 also for the same linux distro.

Its a lot of memory and im not shure i need all that much, but it helps
a LOT for the complexity in queries, especially for the addressbook when
it gets to have many many global categories (bout 50 for thease guys).
Also, this server is not just phpgw, it hosts a large email base with
antivirus and antispam software, along with the enterprise wide squid
proxy (that one gets a pounding) which, btw, authentificates against the
pgsql phpgw_accounts table using  pam (so, change the gw password, web
password is changed as well). This is the same for the samba server
which is another box, but auths against the phpgw database.

So, 400 users? No problem. Just make shure you guys know what youre
doing.