Re: [Phpgroupware-users] debs.phpgroupware.org - update2

From: Daniel Teichert
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] debs.phpgroupware.org - update2
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:19:49 -0700

And I heard Dave Hall exclaim:
> Just some more news on debs.phpgroupware.org - we now have phpgw 16 debs
> available for all 3 flavours of debian.  These have been packaged by
> Thomas Viehmann - which is greatly appreciated.

It sure is! Thanks!

> Any problems complain here :)

Well, I don't want to *complain*, but I did have a problem or two ;).
Let me preface my comments, though, by saying that I am not a Debian
Developer, nor a phpGroupWare Guru (or IANADDNAPHPGWG, for short ;). If
what I'm about to say is totally ridiculous or has already been said
twenty times before, just shake your head and think how glad you are not
to be me :).

I'm installing on a freshly-installed Debian Woody box, and I found that
the postinst script threw errors for me. I went in and poked around and
found that adding a few semicolons seemed to solve the problem--here's a
'diff <working> <original>' FWIW (your line wrapping may vary):

117c117
<                       domaintemplate=$(sed -n "/<!--[ tab][ tab]*BEGIN
domain[ tab][ tab]*-->/,/<!--[ tab][ tab]*END domain[ tab][ tab]*-->/{
s/.*<!--[ tab][ tab]*BEGIN domain[ tab][ tab]*-->//;s/<!--[ tab][ tab]*END
domain[ tab][ tab]*-->//;${varscript};s/\$/\\\\/;p; }" < $template)
---
>                       domaintemplate=$(sed -n "/<!--[ tab][ tab]*BEGIN
> domain[ tab][ tab]*-->/,/<!--[ tab][ tab]*END domain[ tab][ tab]*-->/{
> s/.*<!--[ tab][ tab]*BEGIN domain[ tab][ tab]*-->//;s/<!--[ tab][ tab]*END
> domain[ tab][ tab]*-->//;${varscript};s/\$/\\\/;p }" < $template)
121c121
< d; }
---
> d }

Note the extra slash in the first change--I don't know if that was
important or if I messed something up while fiddling around and didn't
put it back... Anyway, the script completed successfully. Whether it did
the right thing or not I have no idea...

Also, I notice the '[ tab]' construct in there a lot. I'm not a sed
expert, but I would have thought that would match a ' ', 't', 'a', or 'b'
rather than the ' ' or <TAB character> that I assume was meant. Am I way
off, here?

Finally, have you considered using the distro names instead of the
stable/testing/unstable identifiers for the directories? e.g. ...

deb http://debs.phpgroupware.org/woody/phpgw/binary ./

...instead of...

deb http://debs.phpgroupware.org/stable/phpgw/binary ./

I'm just thinking that when sarge is released woody won't be stable
anymore, but I'd rather not have to go in and tweak the sources.conf
(or risk having a production box go upgrade in flames, as it were). Just
my own laziness, mostly...

Anyway, thanks very much for this project--it's coming at a very
opportune time for us...

P.S. Okay, *really, truly finally* this time--at least for this email
;)--I noticed that the phpgroupware package seemed to install without
my having postgresql or mysql installed--should one or the other be
a dependency? And I could be wrong, but I think it pulled php4 from
the standard Debian archives...  Is my machine just going berserk or
something? I *am* in here working on a Saturday evening, so I make no
claims at either sanity or coherence, for myself or my computer :P...

Anyway, thanks again!
--
Daniel Teichert, BYU ECEn Dept. CSR
Email address: address@hidden