Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Updating to rc3...

From: Benoit Hamet
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Updating to rc3...
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:10:37 +0100

Hi all,

As Dave says, I have some (little :) responsability for the new design of the LDAP system.

You will find some response in the body of the message.
Some others could be find in the forum (just look at the biggest thread in the phpgwapi section):
(hum the site is currently down :/ so I didn't have the URL :)

Marco Gaiarin wrote:

Apart this real problem, i've found another one: if i try to login with
my user (gaio) or user guest i got:

        account/group id conflict - bad luck

and nothing more. Aided by grep i've found class.accounts_ldap.inc.php
and the function get_type() that verify if an ID is a user or a group.

That's (if I remember) for historical reasons, don't forget that phpgw is designed for some SGBD too and the system should be more or less compatible. So some design of phpgw (at least in the .16) need that groups AND people have differents ID's. Take a look at the SQL table to understand why.

Really there's a conflict, gaio have id 1000 as group sysman (changed
to 666 ;), and guest have id 999 as group guests (changed to 998).
But after modifying this nothing changed. I've learned some things:

+ again there's no support for having the same id for user and group.
 I've deployed the ldap server with the phpgw installation, so for me
 there's no a big problem, but again i think this is a problem if phpgw
 have to be integrated in a complex and UNIX-minded LDAP environment.

As I said before, we cannot change the whole design of phpgw only to fit the LDAP system. It's true that in real case this is very annoying (yes I have this problem, and more...), but in this case I think that some part of the api should be modified heavily (Dave could you confirm/deny this ?) ...

+ new LDAP schema add a mandatory field phpgwAccountID and
 phpgwGroupID, but looking into class.accounts_ldap.inc.php code, seems
 that they are not used, but is used the more standard uidNumber and
 gidNumber. This for me sounds really strange. A mandatory unused
 field?! ;)

I need to investigate this. I think that's there was some request on this on the forum, but couldn't remember what/why... Perhaps this is used in the ACL fields ?

+ after modifying with GQ the ldap data so that there's no more user
 and group with the same ID (modifing group sysman and guests as above)
 still the login print ``account/group id conflict - bad luck''.
 I've had to comment out the die() row in get_type() function...

I need to make some test about this issue. Perhaps a cache problem or something else...

+ AFAIK phpgw i expect that a change in ID of groups guests and
 sysadmin will brake some things, like user gaio not more in group syadm
 and user guest no more in group guests, but... i'm still in group
 sysman... the information ``user X in group Y'' now are stored in LDAP
 and not in acl tables?! This will be wonderful! ;-)))

That's true. Groups are now in LDAP (ie "user X in group Y"), so you can use external resources with them. But, remember that ACL are very important for access to the phpgw system. So If you change the id, you can loose some infos in the ACL table. so be very carefull with this (at least change the id in both LDAP system and ACL's.

Benoit Hamet (aka Caeies).