Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Comparison between phpgw and Plone

From: Chris Hirsch
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Comparison between phpgw and Plone
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:18:50 -0700

Chris Weiss wrote:

well, phpgw isn't a CMS itself, it's a groupware system, which is where the
LDAP comes in handy.  The calendar is kind of awkward to use strictly as a
shared calendar but it certainly can be done.  SiteMgr and newsadmin are add
ons to phpgw to give it CMS capabilities, but it's failrly basic and will
probably require some effort and maybe some code to do what you want.

Just so I'm sure on the the basic difference between a groupware system and a CMS. A groupware would probably be used more for businesses where sharing calendars, files and having your email avail online etc.

A CMS is more for posting about events and news and decentralizing the web site administor so that it can be just about anybody depending on permissions.

Some of the functionality is shared between the two right?

For an example, the phpgroupware.org site is sitemgr, but I think it's got
some custom stuff in it so it's not an out of the box setup.

I've always wondered that....is the code avail for how they have the site setup? It does look nice...

--
Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

http://ccicolorado.org
Exceptional Dogs for Exceptional People - Help Out Today!