Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Comparison between phpgw and Plone

From: Chris Hirsch
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Comparison between phpgw and Plone
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:22:55 -0700

Alex Borges wrote:

Im a phpgw zealot...i mean it.... but plone...well, its right up there
with the best of breed in what it does. Its a great software built for a
great architecture.

I really like phpgw...its come a long way since I first started using it.

STILL, if your primary need is groupware, and then you need to exploit
your collaboration information to export to a website, then
phpgw+sitemgr can very well be for you. Zope is not a good groupware
application because it is NOT a groupware application (not going into
that, im shure you know what i mean)...so there, thats an argument for
phpgroupware+sitemgr for certain uses.
It seems that my needs are in the middle somewhere but *probably* leaning more towards the CMS side (in this case) because I want *users* to be able to manage the site whereas phpgw doesn't seem to lend itself to that as nicely.

I know phpgw whereas I'm just starting out with plone. I know one of sitemgr's goals was to be able to emulate postnuke (which I orignally used at the cci site below) and I *hate* the *nukes now. They are horrible for pretty much anything...especially when you need to have your users have different security levels. One killer app that I would *love* to have is support for the photo gallery at http://gallery.sourceforge.net. Has anybody done that?

--
If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose.

http://ccicolorado.org
Exceptional Dogs for Exceptional People - Help Out Today!