Re: [Phpgroupware-users] hobby

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] hobby
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:18:21 +0000

Can we please end this thread?

Brian:

You asked a question that required a high level of technical knowledge, some of
it
about your system config, a system to which it seems that nobody involved has
access.

The first few posts seem to be people trying to offer a couple of suggestions
and
you asking for more detailed information. From there it degenerated as more
people
got involved.

This like most open source projects relies upon volunteers.

Please consider a swap of roles with you being the person able to help and
giving
some and then be criticized and name called (what the heck is a faux developer?)
becuase the person you are trying to help doesn't understand it and doesn't
appear
to even _try_ to understand it.

Please realize that losing patience and attacking the people trying to help you
will
usually result in even less aid the next time you ask for it (I find this
applies to
everything in life)

Everybody else:

Why bother replying with statements like "somebody already told you what you
need".

Sometimes silence is the best response, for it would give him time to think
about
the answer and decide to investigate it further himself and either solve it, or
come
back (in a polite, friendly way) with more information to narrow down the
problem,
or decide to pay someone for support, or decide not to use phpgw (in my opinion
that
would be his loss)

I think those options pretty much sum up support for all open source projects.

Responding in a preaching manner (ie this is what you SHOULD have done) seems to
usually degenerate the thread pretty quickly from my observations.

Everybody:

Can we stop this?

Discussions of hobby vs profesional vs hobby & profession (that's what I strive
for
... to get paid for what I enjoy doing) are irrelevant. The world (and the tech
industry in general) are ripe with examples of hobbies turned business. M$ and
Apple come quickly to mind.

Phpgroupware is a complex set of php scripts that in turn relies upon the proper
configuration of numerous other complex systems (web server, the php language,
databases, DNS, firewalls, etc.). From my observation of irc and the mailing
lists,
it seems as there are AT LEAST as many problems/questions related to these
underlying systems as there are attributed to phpgw itself.

If you don't want to get involved in learning about and troubleshooting your
systems
for these dependant systems, hire someone to do it for you.

It is really that simple.

Now kiss and make up.