RE: [Phpgroupware-users] open_basedir restriction

From: Alex Borges
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-users] open_basedir restriction
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:36:20 -0500

Now, please  read through the WHOLE of this post. Even if it gets you a
bit angry at first.

El mar, 30-09-2003 a las 20:24, Brian Connolly escribió:
> Dave,
>
> Bottom line: you don't know.  Just another faux developer posing.
>
> Brian

Now this last three or four messages really are just trash for the
lists.

The first person to respond was Hsing, he pointed to this bug:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=5472&group_id=509

Where it says:

" When using php 4.3.2+ and trying to attach attachements to an e-mail
message, they show up as 1k wahtever the real size is.

The logs will report open_basedir in effect....

This is due to a bug in php. The e-mail app is using the command copy()
to move a file (/email/inc/class_boattach_file.inc.php line 18473)
Replace the copy() command with move_uploaded_file() and all works fine.

Not really a phpgw bug, but nevertheless..."

So, maybe if you try replacing that copy() command in your phpgroupware
code (which files?, the lines and files appear where the error appears),
with the move_uploaded_file() that the bug suggests. As to "how do i go
about replacing X for Y in a text file without breaking anything", that
is out of scope, turn to your editor manual and the php.net homepage. In
vim, you go like this :s/copy/move_uploaded_file when the cursor is on
the line of the text where you want to replace.

Try it, it might help.

Then chriss suggested (very clearly, and he is and has allways been our
silver bullet in user support. Not many can get him angry.), that the
open_basedir restriction in effect might be the problem in itself.

And here is the real base of this whole discussion, you should have
clearly stated how you are using a hosting provider and thus cannot
change php's configurations without asking them.

Chriss correctly pointed you php's documentation, so did dave in his
silk like manner (how is that for sarcastic).

Now think about this. Here:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=open_basedir&submit=Search%21&idxname=phpgroupware-http://mail.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=open_basedir&submit=Search%21&idxname=phpgroupware-users&max=20&result=normal&sort=scoreusers&max=20&result=normal&sort=score

Is the link to the mailing list archive for this whole discussion. Being
as you are paying your providers for service (well, you pay them more
than you pay chriss, or dave), let them do the work and read the whole
thread.

If they refuse to give you propper service by reading the list and
solving the problem, immediatly dump them. I (so will dave or chriss
probably) will provide you with superior hosting with full phpgw support
if the price is right.

Now. Let me be clear about this. Everyone here tried to be helpfull,
make no mistake about that. You have to accept the fact that you are a
newbie, and are currently in a learning phase. Its a frustrating phase,
for any kind of technology or hability in life, but its a learning
process that is worth a lot when you start solving problems with it.

Nevertheless, your frustration doesnt help you when trying to find
answers. Noone here is obliged to do it, but here we all are trying.

There are limits to what some here want (or can) do for you, you need to
understand those limits and fill the gaps that may result from them by
learning to do it yourself.

If learning to do it yourself is something you cannot or will not do,
then the full free opensource package does not apply, you need to pay to
fill the gaps, there, a support business is born.

Try posting to the redhat lists something like this:

BC: My hardrive doesnt work
LIST DEVEL: What brand is it?
BC: It says C8938837
LIST DEVEL: Try out the provider's page to look for some drivers
BC: Did that, but i cannot find the name of the provider
LIST DEVEL: Who sold it to you?
BC: Some guys that say that maybe i do not have support for it in my
linux version
LIST DEVEL: Find out what kind of support does it need, you may be able
to google for the model's number.
BC: Get off your HIGH HORSE LIst DEVEL!, If you dont know, dont send me
to google! I have NO IDEA what to do with the google results
LIST DEVEL: Its time to learn about hard drives then....

And right there, the discussion has turned offtopic, because you need to
learn about hard drives, not linux. And that gets LIST DEVEL a wee bit
on the off side.

I hope this was elightening for all...