[Phpgroupware-users] FW: Current Net Update

From: Visual Energy Studio
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] FW: Current Net Update
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:54:17 -0400

Hi All,

This is being sent to everyone on my mailing list.

I wanted to make sure y'all knew about this hoax / virus. The original e-mail is below has sufficient information, format and content to make you believe it is from Microsoft. It's not! The attached file (which I have deleted & not passed on) is a worm (virus).

After looking at the headers that accompany this e-mail, the odds are extremely high that this came to me from someone on this list that I am sending to now. One of you, or more, have already gotten this e-mail and ran the attachment. All of you need to:
 1) update your virus reference file to the most recent, which will have been issued today (all virus scanner companies update their reference file at least once a day, usually more).
 2) Do a forced run of your scanning program on your hard drive. Keep in mind, without step 1, this step is a waste of time. Virus reference files MUST be updated DAILY!

Microsoft, and many other larger companies, never send out update and/or patch information. If a company does they never send the patch via unsolicited e-mail. If they send you a notice they will have you go to their web site to download the patch. At this point you can look at the address in the address bar in your browser to be sure it is actually from that company.

***** This is yet another reminder. *****
Having a virus scanner on your computer is NOT good enough. It's reference files MUST be updated DAILY! If your virus scanner does not do this automatically for you then it's time you spent a mere $25 on one that does (only $10 for annual renewal). The one I recommend most is at http://my-etrust.com. Don't bother with their desk shield or firewall, just get the virus scanner. The most recent version is 6.1.7. If you already have this then you should check that your version is up to date. If you have already paid your $20 annual fee then the upgrade is free. When it is first installed (or upgraded) it will do a complete scan of your system. From then on you don't have to worry about it. It will detect when you go on line and update itself each day.

    Mike
  Michael R. Harvey
  CerebroHUB, Inc.: http://cerebrohub.com
  Web Design & Hosting: http://vestudiohost.com