Re: [Phpgroupware-users] (no subject)

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:58:43 +0000

Daniel L. Miller (address@hidden) wrote:

>First of all, much thanx to everyone for the quick response.  It is
>deeply appreciated - and I'll probably rely on you guys quite a bit in
>the near future.

no prob, that's what we're here for.  The more people using phpGW teh better :)

>I am investigating downloading the tarball and compiling/installing
>myself - but I much prefer staying within the Debian package system - I
>have "fewer" (NOT none) problems that way.

it's php, there is no compiling needed.  The deb package just dumps the tarball
your web root and very little more.

>Since I'm running apache 1.3 with the default Debian setup, the apache
>processes run as "www-data".  Naturally, all the phpgroupware
>directories are owned by "root".

It doesn't matter what user owns the files so long as the files are world
readable,
or readable by the www-data user via groups or whatever works for you.

>I first visited /usr/share/phpgroupware, and chown'ed everything to
>www-data.  That wasn't enough.  Doing the same to
>/var/lib/phpgroupware/sesions did the magic trick.

Oh that's right!  The deb packages sets up a special ini thingie so phpgw uses a
different session dir than the plain old php.ini.  Makes things unessicarily
complex.  Also copies your header.inc.php to /etc and makes a link, which might
sound like a good idea but again is complicated if you wanted to host more than
one
phpgw site on the server.

>Much gratitude - this is probably a good entry for a FAQ or FEE
>(Frequently Encountered Errors) document.  I'll also see if the Debian
>group can put this into the Debian package.

yeah, the deb install seems to not use a standard setup.  If they are going to
do
things differently than our standard layout then they should handle it properly.
Probably should file a bug report on the deb package with debian.