Re: [Phpgroupware-users] New contacts backend

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] New contacts backend
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:38:42 +0000

If i understand the problem correctly, the problem is that LDAP is too limited

It is unable to set up a relational system where many people can belong to
organizations (it is designed to be a "dumb" flat file mimicing system).  The
power
of a good relational contact structure was sacrificed for a simpler system.

It should be possible for someone to write a two-way sync interface and in fact
generic system is planned that someone could port to LDAP since the same problem
will be experienced by people trying to sync to other simple contact storage
systems
(like Palm and M$ PDAs .. there are alternative methods for Linux based PDAs
including running your own relational db)