Re: [Phpgroupware-users] New contacts backend

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] New contacts backend
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:05:47 +1000

Marco Gaiarin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mandi! Alex Borges
>  In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > > I hope that the ``8 table wide application'' have not braked
> the ldap
> > > compatibility... ;)))
> > It can export the data in a somehow configurable way directly to
> an ldap
> > server (thus keeping it sincronized), but its not the same as the
> other> one because it is much more complex to fit into a simple
> hierarchy like
> > ldap. (Many persons can belong to an ou, many ous can belong to
> an ou,
>
> This, for me, is a very bad news. ;(
>
> LDAP is a very good tool for integration in a local area, with LDAP
> andphpgw the user can manage contacts and use these also in other
> emailclients and various programs.

We are still planning on supporting ldap for contacts, albeit in read
only mode.  We soon realised that such a complex and flexible schema
could be easily accomodated in SQL, but not in R/W in LDAP.

> > Im shure that for any test case i can come up with, there is a
> way to
> > model it in LDAP, the problem is that we cannot code for only one
> model> of the data, we need to keep it open so that you guys can
> fit it where
> > you want.
>
> It is true that i've not found an email client that can import
> contactsto LDAP, they are all readonly/query tools, so consider to
> implement at
> least a tool to extract a subset of data and import these to an LDAP
> server (some sor of syncronization from phpgw contacts and a LDAP
> server).

We are planning this support.  The plan (unless it has changed recently)
is to use phpGW as the contacts management tool, with every edit being
replicated to LDAP for those who want to use their LDAP contacts in
other applications.  Also we plan to move to a inetOrgPerson schema,
instead of the almost inetOrgPerson schema we currently use.

> At least, for me the missing of a real contacts backend to LDAP is a
> real miss. ;(

If you are interested in helping us improve our LDAP support and
schemas, we could start a discussion on our new forum which will be
launched this week.  Hopefully we can have a group of people
implementing the final model which could be agreed to at the end of the
discussion.  If all goes well Santa might bring you 0.9.18 with the LDAP
features you desire - not this is not a commitment to a release date for
0.9.18 - just my view :)

Cheers

Dave