Re: [Phpgroupware-users] New contacts backend

From: Marco Gaiarin
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] New contacts backend
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:48:43 +0200

Mandi! Alex Borges
  In chel di` si favelave...

> > I hope that the ``8 table wide application'' have not braked the ldap
> > compatibility... ;)))
> It can export the data in a somehow configurable way directly to an ldap
> server (thus keeping it sincronized), but its not the same as the other
> one because it is much more complex to fit into a simple hierarchy like
> ldap. (Many persons can belong to an ou, many ous can belong to an ou,

This, for me, is a very bad news. ;(

LDAP is a very good tool for integration in a local area, with LDAP and
phpgw the user can manage contacts and use these also in other email
clients and various programs.

> Im shure that for any test case i can come up with, there is a way to
> model it in LDAP, the problem is that we cannot code for only one model
> of the data, we need to keep it open so that you guys can fit it where
> you want.

It is true that i've not found an email client that can import contacts
to LDAP, they are all readonly/query tools, so consider to implement at
least a tool to extract a subset of data and import these to an LDAP
server (some sor of syncronization from phpgw contacts and a LDAP
server).

At least, for me the missing of a real contacts backend to LDAP is a
real miss. ;(

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin                                 GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

         Proteggiamo l'innovazione in Europa: no ai brevetti software
                           http://swpat.xsec.it/