RE: [Phpgroupware-users] Category sub-Category, again.

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-users] Category sub-Category, again.
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:58:05 +0000

Rodolfo J. Paiz (address@hidden) wrote:

>At 7/24/2003 19:29 +0000, you wrote:
>>You would have to add a loop to get the children of $this->cat_id (with a
>>SQL select
>>statement) and add their ids to the $extra string (that is being used as a SQL
>>select statement) with an OR function
>>
>>OR
>>
>>you could just pick both the parent and child category when
>>creating/editing the
>>event (they can be assigned more than one category)
>
>Given the laaaarge number of events already in the system, the second
>option (while logical) becomes impossible to implement.
>
>I'm new to phpGW... is it possible to request this as an RFE for all
>applications? For each separately? How?

Since it's in a SQL backend database, a SQL statement developed in 15 mins could
update all of your records to include the additional categories

There is a lot more versatility (and therefore power) provided by the phpgw
system
than what is available through the web interface becasue of the standards upon
which
it is built.  I really recomend you become familiar with a client program for
your
database and some SQL (some simple SELECTs, UPDATEs, and DELETEs ) - you will
really
benefit from it

As for feature requests, you can post a feature request on on the phpgw site at
savanah.  These are typically processed when a volunteer has time and interest
to do
it.

If you have time and interest in learning some php, this looks like a fairly
easy
patch to do.  If you get it working, please post the patch at savanah so that
all
users can benefit.

--
Brian Johnson
* This is where my witty signature line would be if I bothered to edit this