Re: [Phpgroupware-users] PHPGW is Dang Slow

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] PHPGW is Dang Slow
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:41:54 -0500

BTW, i'm not saying that the tables in geenral couldn't do with some optimazation, just that this is one of them.

Feel free to bring up any specific concerns and we'll either file a bug report on it or explain why it's done that way.

Chris Weiss wrote:

          Table "phpgw_app_sessions"
 Column    |          Type           | Modifiers
- -------------+-------------------------+-----------
sessionid   | character varying(255)  | not null
loginid     | character varying(20)   |
location    | character varying(255)  |
app         | character varying(20)   |
content     | character varying(1020) |
session_dla | integer                 |

This one is the very table (when with "content" defined as "text")
for the long login times. Check out its original definition in
phpgwapi/setup/table_current.inc.php - at least in phpgw ver.
0.9.14.003 it is defined as "text" in that file.

content     | character varying(1020) |
session_dla | integer                 |

This one is the very table (when with "content" defined as "text")
for the long login times. Check out its original definition in
phpgwapi/setup/table_current.inc.php - at least in phpgw ver.
0.9.14.003 it is defined as "text" in that file.

ohhh, this is gonna be a problem.  IIRC this table is used for DB sessions and
doens't get used at all for php4 sessions.  Apps can store whatever they want in
here.  For Email, the entire message list (minus body's) of the current folder
is
stuffed in here, think 5000 messages is NOT gonna fit in 1000 characters.  it
/needs/ to be text.

Most of the things that are text are that way by design and not because someone
was
being lazy.  Also, many RDBMS's only support up to varchar(255) so that's all
we can
depend on, and if we need more than 255, or in the case of app session more
than 8k
(dunno about pg but that's MSSql's max varchar) then text is it.

seems in this one case using php4 sessions would fix your login slowdown.

Also, 128Meg of RAM is sorta the "bare minimum" for an apache web server, not
counting a database or HTTPS or running anything other than static HTML on top
of
it.  I'm guessing your swapping, no I'd put money on it your swapping, which
will
definatly cause slow downs because the database won't have anywhere to cache to.
I'd recomend at least 256meg for a small phpgw install.  Heck, I personally
wouldn't
put less than 512Meg in /any/ kind of server.  swap = bad!