Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Email Application Issues

From: Daryl L. L. Houston
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Email Application Issues
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:31:17 -0400

I figured out that this was a problem with caching and checking mail using
another mail client.  That is, if you check mail with groupware, your inbox
is cached in the database. If you then use another client to POP mail and
remove it from the server, the next time you check mail using groupware, the
cached inbox is displayed, but the links to view individual messages point to
messages that may or may not actually exist on the server anymore. So if you
have three messages in your gw cache, but you pop mail through another
client, the next time you check mail through gw, your inbox will display the
three messages, but clicking the links will give you an error because the
messages don't actually exist. Or if you've received, say, two messages since
you POPped your account through another client, clicking the first two
messages in gw will display messages; but they're the two new messages rather
than the ones corresponding to the cached inbox.  There's no check to see
whether or not the message ID listed in the inbox matches the message ID as
listed on the server, and the result is the problem described below.  The fix
I've applied is to write a function that deletes all rows from the cache for
the given user upon login. This forces the cache to be rebuilt when the mail
application is loaded, so that any deletions not performed from within gw are
accounted for.  I've submitted a bug report (#4224 if you're interested) and
a description of the fix to savannah, though there are probably more elegant
ways of handling it.