Re: [Phpgroupware-users] PHPGW is Dang Slow

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] PHPGW is Dang Slow
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:55:15 +0200

Joel Webb <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there anything in the works to speed up PHPGW??
>
> I am running several PHP applications on a 700 MHz box with 128
> Megs of
> RAM.

Ummm ... how many users?

> I am running PHPGW 9.14, Apache 2.0 with gzip, and PHP is running
> with PHP
> Accelerator.

More info please, full version numbers and distro :) The more info you
give us the more we have to work with.

> I have tried messing around with the query cache info array, and
> have tried it with and without
> cookies.
>
> Even with all this, PHP has always been the slowest app that I
> have.
> It is slow enough that I ONLY use it when I have to.

Define slow .. please.

My dev server is a k6-233 (running at 150 long story) with 128M.  It is
by no means lightnight fast.  I am running 16 on it, and it copes well
enough.  I also have it running on my laptop Cel 500 with 256M and KDE
3.1 ... pretty fast there too.  The main lag I experience is on login
and calendar monthly view - I don't use it for mail.

> It seems that most of the time that it is taking during the HTTP
> Post
> request is during the upload.

Which upload?  Normal post requests or file uploads?