Re: [Phpgroupware-users] No Problemo

From: Alex
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] No Problemo
Date: 15 May 2003 10:32:27 -0500

Im probably not the best person to carry this news, there are devels and
all, but its all been cooled down, everyone is mostly happy and i just
saw skwashd and ralph speaking about continuing their development and
fixes for the .16 branch.

Read the devel list, none of this discussion has been hidden from
anyone, and anyone was welcome to air an opinion. This was resolved in a
very beautiful way by exercising incredible goodwill from all parties.

Thing is not much users are in the devel list as well - and with good
reason. But that makes it so that whenever a little problem comes up,
users dont necesarily have all the info. So read the devel list archives
if you guys want all the gossip. Its the "project structure" thread. Its
a good example in OSS projects decition making and politics as well...
enjoy!

This is the thread in the devel list archives:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/phpgroupware-developers/2003-05/threads.html#00101

Dont join the discussion if you dont really know whats going on, read
and learn. This is a serius discussion and at this point, newcommers
with noisy opinions will certaintly result in flaming to death by hungry
child-eating developers. This is basic netiquette, read the jargon file.

> It sounds like there is some "bad vibrations" between core team and
> developer community, is that right?

No, not bad vibe at all... it was mostly an argument about project
organization and how to best deliver stuff to users and how to leverage
the best out of devels, including adding more devels to the project
...etc.

> And what is happening on that now? I did not find any forum where the PRP
> is discussed. The reader is asked to comment on the Proposal, but there is
> nowhere to comment it.

Read the phpgw-devel list archives!...:) its free for all!

> Everything a bit mysterious, if I may say so. Could the core team and the
> "revolting developers" please state anything more detailled?

No such thing! ... as i said, its all available in the lists. If you
need a digest of all the thread id be more than happy to forward the
more than 30 messages of the dicussions

> The time frame for 0.9.16 seems to be postponed (although further down the
> homepage the "old time frame" is still published), but until when? Is all
> development stopped?

No, all of the developers are back and working. Most of the issues are
resolved although some edges need some work still. I was mostly an
observer in the whole didscussion but it worries me that users are as
concerned as you are. Its all allright now, read the devel archives..:)

This is the document that proposes the reestructure of how the work is
going to go in phpgw:

http://phpgroupware.org/devteam/wiki/index.php?page=restructure

It was the document in discussion. That is all, no mistery or nothing.
The document was open in the wiki and pointed to by a link in the irc's
channel topic. Also, it was publicized in the web page. The devel list's
archives are allways accesible through the mailing lists link in the
support section of the webpage.

non-disclaimer/anti-warranty:

Im not an active developer, ive been awol for two months or so, so more
active developers will certaintly have better studied opinions than mine
in this matter, but i think its important that users have all the info
to be calm  about this whole thing.