Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Some questions...

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Some questions...
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 15:19:50 +0000

Marco Gaiarin (address@hidden) wrote:

>Mandi! Chris Weiss
>  In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> as long as the webserver can write to the dir you setup for the files
>> (outside of
>> the web root and NOT the real /home preferably, see the install/security
>> HOWTO) it
>> will create dirs as needed.  For group access you need to edit the group and
>> click
>
>I've simply installed phpwebhosting, and if i use phpwh they put me on
>/home/<user> directory, creating it if does not exist.
>I can create dirs on /home/<user>, but not on /home nor /.
>
>I'm missing something?!

probably.  I've oulined this in more detail in the install howto.

>> Now for sitemrg, I created a sitemgr group and added my sitemgr anon user to
>> have
>> read access to the group and grant access to phpWebHosting to the anon user.
>>  Then I
>> can upload files under the group dir and copy the url to put on my sitemgr
>> pages as
>> img's and hrefs.
>
>Whithout setup apache?! In my mind i will setup apache to read in some
>way the files in a phpwh folder (say www.sv.lnf.it/phpwh), so i can add
>in sitemgr a URL to these files.
>But clearly i don't want to put publicly available all the phpwh
>subtree... so i've to create folder not in /home ;)

yes, without any apache tricks.  sitemgr transparently logs into phpgroupware
as the
anon user you setup, so if you give that user read access to phpWH then you can
have
the sitemget-site call up any file there, so long as you DO pass the session ID
via
cookies (configable in setup/config step2).  One side effect, which I like, is
that
no one can deep link to files used this way unless they first bring up the site
so
the login happens.

>> you /could/ make a link from the phpWH dirs to the website and just refernce
>> the
>> urls, but then you'd have a world writable dir that's fully publicly
>> accessable.
>> through phpWH the files is passed though raw, including php and perl files,
>> so
>> nothing can be script/cgi executed.
>
>I've not understood if you use this link, or some trick that i've not
>so clear... ;)))

`ln -s source target`, make a filesystem link to bring your designated phpWH
dir to
the public.  This way you could even ftp files to it too through your sites
standard
ftp.