[Phpgroupware-users] Register Globals (was ldapmodify.php; data not bei

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Register Globals (was ldapmodify.php; data not being submitted)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:44:18 +1000

Izzy Blacklock <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sunday 30 Mar 2003 5:41 pm, Lars Kneschke(priv.) wrote:
> > Izzy Blacklock <address@hidden> schrieb:
> > >I know now that ldap authenticatio> >when the
> > >accounts are setup correctly.  So, now I'm back to trying to figure
> > >out why
> > >ldapmodify.php wont modify my existing ldap accounts.
> > >
> > >My tests so far show that the if ($submit) section isn't being run.
> > >Neither
> > >is the if ($cancel).  I'm guessing these are the sections that
> should> >be run
> > >when the modify or cancel buttons are pushed.  What I can't
> figure out
> > >is how
> > >these variables get set.
> >
> > Have a look at you php.ini. Look for something like register
> globals. Set
> > it to on. For new php versions it is set to off by default.
> >
> > If it helps, create a bug report. phpGW should not rely on
> register globals
> > == on, because of security problems.
>
> Thanks Lars,  That was it.  Quite a long road I traveled to come
> back to this!
> :(  I'll add it to my LDAP support howto.  I'll also submit a bug
> report.

A few points on this:

1 Register Globals is a well documented issue - see these google results:
161 -
http://www.google.com/search?q=register_globals+phpgroupware+site%3Amail.gnu.org&btnG=Google+Search&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
88 -
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=register+globals+phpgroupware+site%3Amail.gnu.org&btnG=Google+Search

2 The change to register globals was made in php 4.2.0 (released
22-Apr-2002 - see http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php), while phpGW
0.9.14 branch was created 15-Jan-2003 (see
http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=365&group_id=509 )

3 We can not add major new functions/code changes after a feature freeze
or in a buf fix release.

4 Yes, register_globals = on is a security issue - which we are addressing

5 The 0.9.16 API supports our GPC variable sanitizer function "get_var"
- now it is upto devs to implement it in their apps.

6 phpGW does not run with safe_mode = on which many hosts now use as the
default config.  This is something else that will need to be addressed -
but unlikely in 0.9.16

Cheers

Dave