Re: [Phpgroupware-users] ldap auth help/documents

From: Chris Hirsch
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] ldap auth help/documents
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:23:06 -0700

I'll comment briefly on this and do what seemed to work for me. In order to get my stuff to work with no errors I had to create the Admin user and let it automatically create the Default and Admin groups. Once I was able to do this everything just seemed to work nicely. I deleted the Admin user and then created a new one by going into the "Modify an existing LDAP account store...." and selected a single user for admin, several users for phpGW support and left groups alone and modified the default apps which are available (which now works btw so great job whoever fixed that).

I am using the CVS version from about 2 weeks ago (I think) if that helps any. Let me know if this doesn't work because I'd LOVE to help out other people with this. Its rough going but seems to be getting better each time.

Chris

Izzy Blacklock wrote:

I'm trying to get phpgroupware working with LDAP authentication and am running into problems. The main one seems to be a lack of documentation. I currently have a server using LDAP for system and Samaba authentication. Everything seems to be running fine. I'm trying to add phpgw to the mix but haven't had much luck so far.

I've already solved a number of problems which I wont go into here. Perhaps I'll add a page to the phpgw wiki if I can figure out how one is supposed to do that (all pages seem to be locked). My current problem is trying to allow my existing ldap user accounts to log in to phpgw. The "Modify an existing LDAP account store for use with phpGroupWare (for a new install using LDAP accounts)" from the setup III menu doesn't seem to do anything. I can make selections in all four sections now (this is where I ran into most of my problems at first. All list boxes are populated now with no more errors), but when I select modify, nothing seems to happen. I just get the same screen back. I checked my ldap data, nothing has changed. I checked for errors in the logs but found nothing. Actually, I did have something new added to the ldap data. The following entries appeared at some point when I was still working out the bugs causing the errors on the "Modify an existing LDAP account..." setup screen.
# Default, Groups, edm, xxx
dn: cn=Default,ou=Groups,dc=edm,dc=xxx
userPassword:: <<deleted...Are passwords really needed here?>>
phpgwAccountType: g
phpgwAccountExpires: -1
objectClass: top
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: phpgwAccount
cn: Default
gidNumber: 2

# Admins, Groups, edm, xxx
dn: cn=Admins,ou=Groups,dc=edm,dc=xxx
userPassword:: <<deleted...Are passwords really needed here?>>
phpgwAccountType: g
phpgwAccountExpires: -1
objectClass: top
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: phpgwAccount
cn: Admins
gidNumber: 3

I tired manually adding entries to the ldap database to give myself access to phpgw, without success. I couldn't find any info as to what was needed so I guessed based on the group entires above and the schema files. I came up with the following and added them to my account:

objectClass: phpgwAccount
phpgwAccountType: u
phpgwAccountStatus: a

and the following to both the groups above:

memberUid: izzyb

Am I missing something in the ldap entries? Has any of this been documented? Is there really a need for passwords in the phpgw group entries? I didn't provide any passwords, so I'm not sure where they came from. Any idea what is preventing the setup script from working? Is there a way to get it to log something? How about access to adding things to the wiki? I'd love to help others by documenting my experience and solutions I've found.
...Izzy