Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Howto optimize phpgw for speed

From: Jamie Lawrence
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Howto optimize phpgw for speed
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:28:06 -0500

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003, Chris Weiss wrote:

> >I wish we could just find an IMAP server that used a SQL database
> >instead of Mailbox or Maildir. Then we could read it dirtectly and end
> >up with decent performance.
>
> Except for the "text" field size limits some db's place.  There's been some
> descussion about this on the anglemail list, looks like the way to go wil be
> have the "header" fields from the IMAP "msgball" in a db table for sorting and
> such, then as messages are read, store then in a maildir like structure.
> Message
> sorting and searching will be very fast, and loading a message already read
> will be
> quite fast too.  The only hard part will be to get far enough into the IMAP
> protocol to do efficient syncing.

Random thought on this -

Why not have a local cache of messages in a faster store, like {M,L}DBM?

Email is not a record type that is modified. After initial retrival,
throw it in a DBM file. The server then checks the cache, and if an
object isn't there, goes to the backing store (the database, LDAP,
whatever), stows it in the cache, and goes along with business.

Syncing can be done by message ID, unless I'm not understanding what
you're talking about; after the first request in a session, you don't
care what's in the database, unless it is new.

On logout or a timeout period, the cache is cleared.

Disk space is so cheap these days.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        address@hidden