Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Howto optimize phpgw for speed

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Howto optimize phpgw for speed
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 20:21:31 +0000

>I wish we could just find an IMAP server that used a SQL database
>instead of Mailbox or Maildir. Then we could read it dirtectly and end
>up with decent performance.

Except for the "text" field size limits some db's place.  There's been some
descussion about this on the anglemail list, looks like the way to go wil be to
have the "header" fields from the IMAP "msgball" in a db table for sorting and
such, then as messages are read, store then in a maildir like structure.
Message
sorting and searching will be very fast, and loading a message already read
will be
quite fast too.  The only hard part will be to get far enough into the IMAP
protocol to do efficient syncing.