Re: [Phpgroupware-users] N ew version of Hamoa (v. 1.0ß)

From: Jamie Lawrence
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] N ew version of Hamoa (v. 1.0ß)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:30:45 -0500

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003, Alexandros Gougousoudis wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> > If I understand correctly, this require me basicaly give
> > every workstation
>
> The problem is, that it must be possible for a client to delete an event via
> ODBC. But you're right the security model is still not thought until the
> end, we'll do better later.

[...]

Hi -

I'm not a contributer to PHPgw, although we do use a heavily modified
version (sorry we don't give back much - we don't have the time to take
part).

Just wanted to say that if you're building an application with security
requirements, this is exactly the wrong way to go about it. While there
is no One True Methodology, a couple of things stand out, both in my
experience and in the literatures:

 - Understand the threat model. This is economics, and probably won't be
   a useful topic of conversation here.

 - model inputs. Understand the methods of submission and know ahead of
   time what you're going to do with them. (some other axioms come out
   of this, along the lines of "reject what is not explicitly allowed"
   and "know the interactions between different realms of code". Threat
   modeling comes into this.

 - Code for least privilidge. This is less useful in an groupware
   application striving for usability, but is all-the-more important in
   that context.

I'm just trying to provide constructive hints. Perhaps if you need to
provide ODBC, a separate user group with specific resrictions could be
used for those specific actions (I'm not sure MySQL provides this -
I'm used to Postgres).

Just a thought.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        address@hidden
"If I were Jimmy Carter, I wouldn't let Elizabeth Taylor anywhere