[Phpgroupware-users] felamimail "couldn't open stream" error -- solution

From: Ronald O . Christian
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] felamimail "couldn't open stream" error -- solution!
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:17:55 -0800

I have the solution to the felamimail error many of us were getting,
which also fixes nntp administration and probably other parts of
phpgroupware.

To recap:

Error one:  Felamimail, when selected, would exhibit the following
error:

>####
>Warning: Couldn't open stream {169.237.112.206:143}INBOX in
>/var/www/html/phpgroupware/felamimail/inc/class.bofelamimail.inc.php
>on line 698
>
>Warning: imap_getsubscribed(): supplied argument is not a valid imap
>resource in
>/var/www/html/phpgroupware/felamimail/inc/class.bofelamimail.inc.php
>on line 294
>
>Warning: imap_status(): supplied argument is not a valid imap resource
>in
>/var/www/html/phpgroupware/felamimail/inc/class.bofelamimail.inc.php
>on line 334
>phpGroupWare <roc> Christian, Ronald - Saturday 11/30/2002
>WelcomePreferencesLogoutHelp
>####

Error two:  The preferences for felamimail were not persistent.  I.E.,
changes to felamimail preferences would not be committed.

The problem and it's solution is explained here:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.oldcode.php

(Second bullet point.)

Basically, the code uses external global variables which are not
supported by default in the latest version of php.  The solution is
either to change the code to use autoglobal arrays (the preferred
method) or as a workaround, set  register_globals to "on" in php.ini.

I'll post the offending code fragments in a separate message. I wanted
to get this out as soon as possible so that other frustrated
phpgroupware users could take advantage of it.

In essence, many people were not able to reproduce the problem because
either they were using an earlier version of php or they already had
"register_globals = On" in their php.ini.

In my particular case, I had felamimail working on my lab machine but
not on the production machine, and I couldn't figure out the
difference between the machines.  Turns out I had set the lab
machine's register_globals to "on" long ago to fix another problem,
completely forgot about it, and failed to make the connection when I
started diagnosing the felamimail error.

As they say, hope this helps.

        Ron
-
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow
for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only
that which they defend."
http://roc85.home.attbi.com