Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Time display problems in Anglemail and Felami

From: Des Dougan
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Time display problems in Anglemail and Felamimail
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:53:08 -0800

As a follow-on from this thread, and the discussion on IRC, I noticed just after midnight last night that the calendar still showed "today" as Saturday. I changed the preferences until I proved that the Calendar application was also 8 hours out (which I hadn't realized previously).

Today, I added a timestamp and timezone to navbar.inc.php in the "verdilak" template I'm using (adding "G:i, T" to the "show_date($now,'l')" field (and, as an aside, for some reason I can't fathom, "Sunday" now has an asterisk appended to it)).

After I added the time and zone information, I experimented with the timezone parameter in Preferences and the tz_offset in the phpgw_config table. I found that the tz_offset parameter seems not to have any effect - whether it was set to 0 or to -8, I saw the same time display.

When I changed the Preference to 0, the time displays correctly in both the navbar header and in emails (apart from the particular email I sent on Dec. 1). I also tried this at 0 and -8 with tz_offset set at both values - no change seen.

I then set up a new user, just to be certain that nothing user-related was causing any of this. When logged into initially, the user's timezone offset was 0, per the default Preference, and displayed the correct time.

As I noted above, I also added the timezone to the navbar. This consistently displays, correctly, as PST, even when the Preferences offset is adjusted - so at both 0 and -8, it shows as PST.

I'm not sure what all this means, although the conclusion I'm coming to is that the Preferences timezone relates not to GMT but to the server's local time, thus explaining the "double-dipping".

Des