Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Bug in Anglemail

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Bug in Anglemail
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:24:34 +1100

Des Dougan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> At 21:21 30/12/2002, you wrote:
> >I haven't gotten any mail with an empty subject field.  If there
> wasn't a
> >subject,
> >it said, "no subject" and I could read it by clicking on the link.
>
> Thanks for your reply. I just did a bit more checking based on
> what you'd
> said, and found that mail sent from IMP and from Anglemail itself
> both show
> up in Anglemail with "No subject" in the subject field, as links.
> However,
> when I sent a message from Felamimail, I got the circumstances I
> identified
> previously. Perhaps it's a bug in Felamimail, then?

maybe.  What happens in other clients when you send no subject messages
from felamimail?

> I did find that Anglemail did not display new messages as quickly
> as either
> Felamimail or IMP (both displayed after hitting the refresh button
> on the
> browser, Anglemail didn't - I had to jump about the app. to get it
> to display.

The default email app (aka anglemail) caches the mail data for around
5mins.  This improves performance and reduces server load as it is not
hitting your mail server everytime you call the message list page.  This
will result in some delay in the messages being displayed.  iirc there
are plans to include a force refresh option in future releases.

btw I have never had the need to read an message the very second it
arrives, if i did i would not use a web based mail app :)

Cheers

Dave