[Phpgroupware-users] Palm Sync 4 phpGW

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Palm Sync 4 phpGW
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:19:09 +1100

Hi all,

This is a bit of a status update for those of you who are interested in
the Palm Sync project, and a chance for you to comment.

** BACKGROUND
For those of you who are not aware of what I am doing, I am working on
syncing data between phpGW and PalmOS devices. It uses hotSync/netSync
on the client side, ColdSync with xml-rpc to talk to the sync app in
phpgw. The initial phpgw apps(palm apps) supported will be notes(memo),
todo(todo), addressbook(addressbook), calendar(datebook). The app will
respect phpgw acl for the apps mentioned, the exception being calendar,
only those events that the user participates in.

I have a client who is part sponsoring the development of this app, they
don't want to be publicly named until they know it is worth putting
their name to it.

**STATUS

Things are going well, I have been able to identify 'dirty' records for
all apps in phpgw. Addressbook is the only annoying one (but got it
working). I have stub methods for dumping palm data into phpgw. I have
the record matching tables/methods worked out. I still need to do some
work on categories - there may be some minor issues with this. I am now
working on understanding xml-rpc & Perl :)

Santa has been snowed in at the North Pole and won't be delivering a
stable beta until around 1-Jan-03, but by mid-late this week there
should be an alpha out. If anyone is interested, I can send you a copy
of the rough spec i am working to, let me know.

** QUESTIONS
Now i have a couple of questions to put to the potential users of the
app. My client has indicated that they are a bit flexible with some of
this stuff.

* Field Mappings in Addressbook
I have spent some time on field mappings.

I have decided to make the following limitations for the first release
of the app:
 - You can only have one of each type of Phone contact types, so the
first Work Phone will be used if you have 2 in your Palm.

 - Also the main number will store a text value which will be used by
phphw to list the prefered phone number.

 - The field mappings will be static - so they will always map as
described below.

 - It will be smart enough to work out the fields if you don't use the
default palm order for them

Anyway here are the field mappings I propose, if you have comments
please let me know asap - things are moving quickly.

phpGW db field          Field mapped to in Plam

fn                      name
n_given                 first name
org_name                company
adr_one_street          address
adr_one_locality        city
adr_one_region          state
adr_one_postalcode      zipCode
adr_one_country         country
title                   title
note                    note
email_home              custom1
url                     custom2
bday                    custom3
tel_work                phone(Work)
tel_home                phone(Home)
tel_fax                 phone(Fax)
email                   phone(E-mail)
tel_pager               phone(Pager)
tel_cell                phone(Mobile)
tel_prefer              Phone(Main) - text to specify field

* Does anyone know how to get the tz info from a palm using coldsync?

* Can anyone contribute to the development effort? I would really
appreciate a tester who uses ldap for contacts. Thanks to all of you
who have offered support so far.

Cheers

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)

PS - Sorry if you subscribe to both lists and got the cross post