Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Setup/configuration problem

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Setup/configuration problem
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:37:43 +1100

Ok 2 things here

Firstly the whole phpgroupware tree should be owned by
www-data:www-data.  Secondly did you create the db, and grant the
permissions?
content-type: multipart/signed; protocol="application/pgp-signature";
        micalg="pgp-sha1"; boundary="=.2'SP.sVbW'VHXK"

--=.2'SP.sVbW'VHXK

Ok, I decided to take some advice to heart. The .debs have a dependency
on php3-cgi, or so they think, for some reason. So, I uninstalled all
php3 packages, as well as all the phpgroupware packages. Next I
installed php4, php4-cgi, php4-mysql and php4-imap. Followed Dave's
instructions for downloading it from CVS, and then put it in
/var/www/phpgroupware so that I could access it properly. (And did an
updatedb, along with editing out a couple of lines the .debs had added
to /etc/apache/httpd.conf.)

Ok, so the login page loads properly once again. Now I'm running into
permission problems. I tried following the directions given on the
admin page of the documenation section on phpgroupware.org.
/var/www/phpgroupware now has permissions of 700, and all files and
directories are owned by root:root except for "files" which is owned by
www-data:www-data and has permissions of 770. (As I believe apache runs
as www-data on Debian, rather than "nobody".)

After downloading and then copying the header.inc.php I try to login to
Setup/Config admin and get about a hundred screens full of the following
message:
"Warning: Access denied for user: 'address@hidden' (Using
password: YES) in
/var/www/phpgroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.db_mysql.inc.php on line 90"

I get a similar message when I try to create the empty database, as
suggested in the documentation on the website.

Did I set some permissions wrong, or am I misunderstanding who the
db_user should be, or is this a MySQL problem?

Any suggestions or links to good howtos would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Jacob

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:20:38 +1100
Dave Hall <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here is my suggestion ... don't use debs - do a cvs checkout:
>
> cd /path/to/documentroot
> cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/phpgroupware co -r
> Version-0_9_14-branch phpgroupware
> cd phpgroupware
> cvs co -r Version-0_9_14-branch core_modules
>
> I have also had reports that the alias created by the debian packages
> is dodgy.
>
> Another suggestion is to use php4 not php3 ... it is generally better
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
> content-type: multipart/signed; protocol="application/pgp-signature";
>       micalg="pgp-sha1"; boundary="=.MFEjntQziLaG)_"

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/

--=.2'SP.sVbW'VHXK--