Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Understanding LDAP Authentication

From: Des Dougan
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Understanding LDAP Authentication
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:36:18 -0800

Philip,

Hsing-Foo suggested I might be of help, although he kindly overstates my abilities in fully understanding phpGW and LDAP.

At 09:49 8/12/2002, you wrote:
That
is, it appears that it is possible for phpGroupWare to use LDAP as a
user-data repository, but that it uses its own phpGroupWare-specific schema.

This is certainly true. I've downloaded a neat little utility called ldapbrowser which displays the entries in the LDAP database - clearly the demo users have different schema to users created via the e-smith dialogs.

I'm guessing that in order to use e-smith's userids and accounts I would
need to use PAM, but according to the phpGroupWare configuration tool PAM is
"not ready."

Now I'm out of my depth. I've been trying to get my anglemail application configured over this weekend, so haven't spent much time looking at LDAP, but I just had a look at the LDAP setup (the "modifying an existing...." section. I noticed that it's not displaying all the users in my database - it displays those I set up via phpGW (i.e. the admin user and the three demo users, as well as one user (of 4) from the e-smith user accounts, so there's obviously still something not quite right with the LDAP implementation, which is certainly working better than in the .000 release.

Perhaps Lars Kneschke could comment?

Des