Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Sitemgr config problem

From: Patrick Walsh (mr_e)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Sitemgr config problem
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:59:23 -0800

    OK, your problem is extremely strange.  We're going to have to do a
little bit of debugging.  Let's ignore categories for now and concentrate on
the preferences page.  I assume when that starts working, everything will.
The thing with the categories is that the phpgw api handles the writes.

    Before I give suggestions as to things to try to debug, please drop to
your file system and make sure there is one user and one group owning the
entire phpgw tree (except maybe if you have special virtual file manager
directories).  Then make sure that all of the files are publicly readable.
Something like this would do:

cd /path/to/phpgroupware
chown -R user.group *
chmod -R 755 *
chmod -R 644 *.php *.tpl *.gif *.png

(there are fancier ways to do this with the find command, but this should
suffice)

    This way we can be assured that there isn't some odd file permissions
problem.

    What version of MySQL are you using?

    Next, if the problem persists, edit
sitemgr/inc/class.sitePreference_SO.inc.php.  Go to the setPreference
function and first lets just make sure it's getting called.  So before the
first line of the function put this:

    echo 'Setting preference ' . $name . ' to ' . $value . '<br>';

    (that was line 13)

    Next, if you are seeing that line above when you save your preferences
(you should see it 10 or so times over), then the function is being called
but apparently something is still wrong.  Find the two '$sql = ' lines,
ignoring the very first 'SELECT' one.  Right before the '$this->db->query'
lines put this:

    echo '  Query: ' . $sql . '<br>';

    Now when you save your page, look for blank values anywhere, like quotes
that go '' and such.

    At this point report back to us and we'll figure out where to go from
there.  Maybe save some of the debug output for us to look over (just copy
and paste it).

..Patrick