Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Outlook Tool is ready for download

From: Alexandros Gougousoudis
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Outlook Tool is ready for download
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:51:09 +0100

Hi Dave & Hsing-Foo,

> seems to contain more than a warranty disclaimer.  My understanding it
> that you are only granting people a 'non commercial' try out license -
> similar to shareware ... you like you pay ... am i correct?

this is our standard-text for our commercial software-products. It means
that we do not owe anyone support or are responsible for any damage. Anyway
if you don't sit in the EU, the licence is more or less only theoretical for
you. It's to expensive to sue you...:-) The status of the program is not
clear, but for now it will be free, no shareware.  The betas do not run
infinte, they expire simply we do not want any old versions around. So you
can call it a "demo", but the release won't of course. The licensetext is
not optimal, but we haven't another.
So all you do if you click ok is, that you accept that my company is not
responsible if the program erases you porn-collection or so. :-)
This is more or less a contract which expires, when the beta expired. You
agree to not patch the program etc to make it work again, which is anyway
rediculous with a beta. The agreement says also that we own all rights on
that program. What we do with it is our decision, for now we will give the
program freely away, which does not imply that we do or we don't so in the
future. For my opinion it will stay free. But if it is free and we don't
earn money for it, it is clear that we are not responsible for anything and
somebody in the US sues us for 10 billion $, because we haven't noted that
you can't dry pets with it...:-) I hope the position is clear. So please use
it and tell me or Sergej every bug or idea you meet.

cu
 Dros