Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Making Addressbook Entries Readable by All

From: Ian Firla
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Making Addressbook Entries Readable by All
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:43:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Tony Howden wrote:

> Hi Ian and All
>
> >So give her "edit" access on his addressbook. The granularity is there in
> >the settings.
>
> If my memory of this is correct, the 'edit' access function only allows the
> delegate to edit existing entries but not delete or add. This still requires
> that
> the owner creates the new entries and deletes the old.

I'm starting to see where you're coming from now.

I do think that you should look again at the package though.

Jack can create an entry for Jack which will be visible to Jill.

Jill can be granted access to edit those entries and also to delete them.

Jill can make a new entry under her own account and make it public. It
will be visible to Jack.

Now, what you're saying is that Jack wants Jill to add an address that
will be private, that will only be visible to him? And if Jill puts it in
her address book then to make it visible to Jack she has to make it
visible to all, right?

Well, in my experience, if Jack wants Jill to make an entry in his address
book, that's available only to him, then, in a real world situation and
violating every rule of good practice, he will give Jill access to his
account by furnishing her with his password. That's what they do when
they're using Exchange. That's what they'll do no matter what you give
them. :\ That's not to say that the option for good practice shouldn't
exist.

Ian