Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Making Addressbook Entries Readable by All

From: Ian Firla
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Making Addressbook Entries Readable by All
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:18:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Tony Howden wrote:

> Hi Ian
>
> Having thought about it more after my earlier comment, I had been trying a
> couple
> of things, but the main issues were that I could not get it so that a user
> could
> add an address to another users address book, hence the secretary/manager type
> relationship wouldn't work, and there is/was no facility for a global address
> book.
> Each entry is still owned by the creator regardless of intended location.
>
> Is this still the case ? Is there any documentation on 'how its meant to work'
> rather than the short 'how to use an address book" ?

Hrmn. Why would you want to add addresses to other people's address books?
>From a database perspective, that'll lead to duplicates and is very
wasteful. Users can make their address books private or public. Public
addresses will then be available at the permission level that's been
accorded to the group by the owner of the entry.

In the secretary/pa scenario, the secretary can add public addresses to
his/her addressbook and grant read, edit and delete priviliges. Likewise,
other members of the office can declare records public or private with a
fair degree of granularity.

Ian