Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Re: Maildir capable email module

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Re: Maildir capable email module
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:14:07 +0000

yes php has some overhead, and php cannot run SUID as an apache module so it
would need to run as CGI adding even more overhead.  So now we can compair an
C cgi to a C/C++ cgi that is parsing a scripting language and performing
actions on its behalf.  Also one is probably quite targeted and optimized and
the other is very flexable.

The way the mail classes are written it would not really be difficult for
someone that knows maildir well enough to write a datastore class to work
along side the current php-imap/pop3 and socket-imap/pop3 classes.  It's just
with the security and performance issues I don't see anyone just picking up
this task without having a need for it themselves.  Not that I actually have
any real say as to whether anyone will do it, I'm just stating what I see as
the main chalenenges to it.

So, IMAP servers read maildir, and are C, are you having that much of a
performance problem?  I mention the spool because with many mail servers the
INBOX stays in the spool.

If you really want to make a maildir class for the email app, first have a
look at anglemail.com.  There are already some notable performance
enhancements there and Angles would be the the guy to ask for info on how the
mail classes work.