Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Send email results in blank page

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Send email results in blank page
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:47:35 +1000

Hi Tony

Tony Howden <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Something that I just discovered that had me puzzled for a few
> minutes and may be
> of interest.
>
> I had created a new user account and setup email preferences
> including the flag to
> save sent mail to the 'sent' folder.
>
> I then composed an email and after clicking on the send button,
> the browser window
> returned as done with a blank screen. Clicking on refresh re-sent
> the email and
> still returned a blank screen. It would not return to the inbox view.
>
> Yep.. I hadn't created the sent mail folder! Once that was done it
> completes its
> process correctly and returns to the inbox view.
>
> I guess it might be an idea to have it so that if the user
> preference is set to use
> the sent folder the script should either create the folder
> automagically, or at
> least verify/warn of the existence of the folder or not.
> Alternatively the process
> of sending the email and saving to the sent folder could provide a
> message to
> say 'sent mail folder %name% not found' and then return to the
> inbox rather than
> just the blank page. Anyone got any thoughts/comments on this
> before I try to hack
> any scripts.

IIRC as apache usually runs as nobody the sent folder will br created as
being owned by 'nobody' ... and by default nobody can't chown the
folder.  This would mean that the folder won't be able to be accessed by
other mail clients unless the user is in the nobody group.  So IMHO I
would suggest a error message saying the folder can't be found is the
way to go.  It could even still send the email message and display
something like ... "Warning: sent mail folder %name% not found \n
Message sent but no sent copy saved \n Please contact your system
administrator for more infomation" ... or something.

Just my 2c

Cheers

Dave