Re: [Phpgroupware-users] modify calendar application

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] modify calendar application
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:06:07 +1000

Hi Lars,

----- Original Message -----
From: address@hidden
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2002 0:06 am

> Hi,
>
> I want to use phpGroupWare as a webbased calendar. I've seen other
> solutions like WebCalendar, but the design and the functionality from
> phpGroupWare is much more better. To use phpGroupWare for my
> solution, at
> first I've disabled every module except of the calendar. But
> inside the
> calendar module, I think that I'll have to modify the code so that
> phpGroupWare works as we need it.

It is possible and its easier than that ...

> So, I'll try what I want to realize: we want to have a group
> calendar where
> the users can see topics about our it infrastructure, for example
> if there
> will be tests at the network one day and so on. For that, we will have
> different groups of users. There a groups of users who can only
> read the
> calendar for their group, than there are users from a group who
> should be
> able to add new events for their group. So, there should be a
> default group
> for phpGroupWare who isn't able to add new events. How can I
> realize that?
> I haven't seen any opportunities inside the administration module
> to do
> that.

It is under the preferences option for each user.  Use the 'Grant
Access' option.  Each user in the group/s which can create entries needs
to grant read access to the group/s which you want to have read access.
 They also have to grant full rights to the group/s that have full rights.

Another alternative is to add a 'Infrastructure' user to the system,
which is used for making these updates and then just grant read access
to all users.  This is a bit messier, but it means that you don't
clutter everyone's calendar with the events.

> The other group which can create new events can be realized with the
> possibilities of phpGroupWare at the moment.
>
> If anybody has an idea how to realize the other group which can
> only read,
> I'd be happy if you'd post your ideas.

Hope this helps

Cheers