Re: [Phpgroupware-users] RC4 problem after setup

From: Mark A Peters (Skeeter)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] RC4 problem after setup
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Tony Howden wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Ok, solved problem ... sort of. I am using sme-server and was on v5.2 until
> earlier today when I upgraded to 5.5 (sme-server at e-smith.org is a redhat
> based distro) The problem was that the configuration of the sme-server meant
> that I needed to be using https: rather than http: and once I changed to that
> the login to phpgroupware works.
>
> This leaves me with a couple of questions.
>
> #1 before upgrading sme-server (and I guess an update to php) I got no error,
> now get this message during the login process:
>
> Jul 20 10:36:28 myserver httpd: PHP Warning:  Supplied argument is not a valid
> File-Handle resource in
> path-to-my-install/phpgroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.network.inc.php on line 81
>
> Can someone tell me how to fix this or is it not an issue ?

I just committed a fix to the network class that should help solve that.
Let me know if it continues.

> #2 when the login process executes (with a failure or not) the messages file
> showed a weird (at least to me) deny message from the ipchains module
>
> Jul 20 10:32:54 myserver kernel: Packet log: denylog DENY eth1 PROTO=6
> 129.6.15.28:13 my.ip.address:1402 L=40 S=0x00 I=20750 F=0x4000 T=37 (#1)
> (where it has port 1402 various numbers appear here which I assume is a random
> response port)
>
> which appears to be a call to time-a.nist.gov ?  Is this something that
> phpgroupware does a lookup on or ?

Yes.  I have been playing with a more absolute method for grabbing a true
GMT time from the network.

Here's the break-down of what I'm doing with it:

When the datetime class is called, it checks to see if you already have a
server_tz_offset.

If it does, the class will grab the servers true time,
being local or GMT, and apply the offset to have a more accurate GMT/UTC
time down to within seconds.

If the server_tz_offset value is not in cache, it will go out on the
network and attempt to grab GMT from time-a.nist.gov.  (I know that the
server is a US based system.)  The class will then calculate your servers
tz offset from the GMT value and your systems time.  This value, if you
have enabled phpgw caching in setup/config, will then be stored for easier
usage for subsequent requests.

One we have your servers TZ offset, in hours, it is much easier to
calculate the users true time:

GMT_time = (servers_time + servers_tz_offset);
users_local_time = GMT_time + users_preference;

if they have correctly set their TZ in their user preferences.

I know that most admins will have the majority of their users_local_time =
servers_time, but this will give us a greater control of the datetime
class for global enterprise level computing.